Friday, July 19, 2013

Are You Too Blessed to Be Stressed?

By Michele Corbat

Jon Gordon recently wrote a blog post entitled: The Power of a Positive Educator and shared seven ways we can choose to be a positive educator.  One of the ways resonated with me as I had read about it earlier this year in his books The Energy Bus and The Positive Dog.  I was putting it into practice during the school year and it was making a difference.  It is described here:

Take a Daily Thank you Walk – It’s simple, it’s powerful, and it’s a great way to feed yourself with positivity. How does it work? You simply take a walk . . . outside, in a mall, at your school, on a treadmill, or anywhere else you can think of, and think about all the things, big and small, that you are grateful for. The research shows you can’t be stressed and thankful at the same time so when you combine gratitude with physical exercise, you give yourself a double boost of positive energy. You flood your brain and body with positive emotions and natural antidepressants that uplift you rather than the stress hormones that drain your energy and slowly kill you. By the time you get to school you are ready for a great day.


This week has been extremely hot in Michigan.  Actual air temperatures have been 90+ degrees with heat indices of 100+.  We don't have a pool, but we have a very good family friend who does.  My boys and I have gone swimming to beat the heat every day this week.  I decided to make the most of this time by getting in some exercise in between games of Donut or judging cannonballs.  This was my 'Daily Thank you Swim'.  As I swam laps, I thought about all of the blessings in my life.  They are countless!

 
I have a wonderful husband who works hard 6-7 days/week to provide for his family.  He is a good, honest man with a strong character.  He works hard and he plays hard.  I am blessed that he is my life partner for richer or poorer, better or worse, in sickness and in health, til death do us part.


My husband, Jon, playing on the go-kart

 My children are healthy, smart, funny, and kind.  They bring me more joy than I ever dreamed possible.  When I was seven years old, my younger sister died in a tragic accident.  She was my only sibling and was only six years old (we are 364 days apart).  On the day each of my boys were born, I cried tears of joy and told my parents that I already loved them so much.  I can't imagine ever losing them.  I am blessed for every day that I have with them.    


My boys.  My life.
I only live 10 minutes away from my parents.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  They love me selflessly and have gone out of their way to show it my entire life.  My Mom will buy extra groceries when she finds a good sale and give them to my family.  She is an excellent cook is always willing to share meals with us (she cooks for six, even though it's only her and my Dad).  My Dad is retired now and has come to my house every day to take my youngest son to school.  He knows how busy my husband and I are so he takes care of odd jobs around my house.  My parents support me, love me and believe in me no matter what.  I am blessed to have such amazing parents.

Mom and Dad with my youngest on his First Communion
 
 
I am a teacher in the school district where I was a student.  I get to work with and learn with people who were my teachers, my peers or my students.  I get to go to work every day and collaborate with them.  They inspire me.  They support me when I'm struggling and celebrate with me when we succeed. We are a family.  I am proud of my school district and excited about the future.  We are building a culture of learning.  I am blessed to be a part of it.

There are so many more people and things that I am grateful for in my life.  I will continue to reflect on them each and every day.  I choose to feed myself with positivity and focus on my blessings.  I will be too blessed to be stressed. How about you?  What are your blessings?   
 
"Reflect upon your present blessings--of which every man has many--not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."~Charles Dickens



 

No comments:

Post a Comment